E-Waste (Electronic Waste)
Recycling e-waste, also known as electronic waste being made up of things like computers and smart phones is the most significant thing we can do to help the environment and mother earth.
The Rubbish Removal Services team are experienced at handling all electronic waste. We load any type of electronic waste you have for recycling and transport it to an accredited “e-waste” recycling site that we have access to.
Everyone loves the latest gadgets that come to market. But, they generate more than 140,000 tonnes of electronic waste (e-waste) each and every year and most of it ends up in a Sydney landfill. This puts a huge amount of pressure on the limited Sydney landfill capacity and as e-waste can be hazardous with it containing toxic materials, it takes a lot of manpower and expense to manage it.
The Rubbish Removal Services team is committed to electronic waste recycling and we will recycle things like redundant computer equipment, Plasma TV’s, smart mobile phones, old projectors, scanners, laminators, printers, modems, docking stations, telephone systems, keyboards and monitors. In fact, we can recycle anything that plugs in to a power outlet.
The e-waste collected is diverted from landfill and recycled at an accredited e-waste recycling center. E-waste items sometimes contain precious metals such as copper and platinum that should be reused. Components are stripped, then broken down into commodities and circulated back into the market for new products.
Computer screens and TVs contain toxic chemicals such as lead, mercury and arsenic, which can leach out from landfills and into waterways.
What about items that still work you ask?
We recommend to try to find a new home for your unwanted electronic goods first. If your items still work, donate them to non-profit organisations such as Sort Recycling, who refurbish working computers for locally disadvantaged children. You could also try giving items away online through organisations like OzRecycle.
What items can be recycled at e-waste centers?
Below is a list of the items:
- computers – desktops, monitors, laptops and printers
- home and home office equipment – photocopiers, fax machines, scanners, servers, projectors, DVD players and video recorders
- computer peripherals such as joysticks
- electronic games, CDs, DVDs, tapes and cameras
- electronic components
- phones – mobiles and landlines
- small household appliances – vacuum cleaners, microwaves, stereos, and pedestal fans
- power tools – drills, circular saws and power boards, electric lawnmowers, electric trimmers, electric leaf blowers (no gas-powered items).
Items not accepted:
- hazardous waste
- chemicals, paints and pesticides
- car batteries
- household batteries
- smoke alarms and fire extinguishers
- fluorescent tubes and energy saving light globes (CFLs).
If you want to know more about e-waste and what electronic items we can recycle for you, call the team at Rubbish Removal Services today!